[IP] Artificial sweeteners

John, need to clarify what you're saying. Say a type 1 diabetic, such as
myself,that produces no insulin in my body, eats some artificially
sweetened pudding (for example), would there be any effect such as you
describe? Since I have no natural insulin, the body may be initially
fooled and the digestive system may react but the only insulin that
would be released would have to be by me I would think. What I find odd
is that at times I do find myself really hungry after an artifically
sweet snack. It seems that it can trigger a desire for more sweets. I
wonder if it's the digestive system alone, or something else is in play
here. Let
me know what you think.  Patti

 John Ewing wrote:

 The trouble with eating free sugar - as in candy, sugar lumps, etc - is
 that it gives you an insulin rush that makes you hungry for more.
The     same applies to artificial sweeteners taken between meals - the
body      reacts just the same way.
 For the body, the taste of something sweet means "here come some
sugars", and your digestive system initially reacts in the same way
no    matter what the substance is.  This reaction includes triggering
the     release of insulin, which in turn makes you feel hungry.  This
release    takes place right up front on tasting: it doesn't wait until
the blood    sugar level rises.

 You can even trigger an insulin release by gazing into a confectioner's
 window. When you think about it, there are many similar reactions - the
 smell of something rotten can make you throw up, as can the sight of
a    bad accident, etc, etc.

 So taking AS soda or candy between meals can make you hungry. With
a      meal it makes no great difference, because the food is there to