[IP] Re:

Rhonda McClary writes:

<< I am still waking up with high BGs and I am not sure if it is my basal
rate or because
 I eat something sweet before going to bed in fear of being too low >> and
asks about using John Walsh's formulas.

I refer to Walsh often when I need to recalculate or change basals and
bolus/ratios.  A couple of thoughts I have on your problems with regulating
and especially with high morning sugars and hypoglycemic unawareness/fears.
You say your target is 115.  I'd suggest raising that goal, perhaps as high
as 150 during the night.  Eating a sweet HS will increase your sugar rapidly
but for only a short time.  A better HS snack would be to include a protein
with your carb (ie crackers and cheese or peanut butter) which will go into
your system more slowly and will last longer.  I too find I walk a fine line
between having lows during the night and waking with high BGs.  I love the
pump (celebrating my 1 month anniversary) but find I need to keep close watch
and tweek my boluses frequently.  I change my basals very carefully and
slowly.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Jill Tiffany