Re: [IP] depression

>Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows if depression is related to
>diabetes in anyway.  I have been very depressed for a couple of days now and
>I am not sure why.  Of course things could be a little better here at home
>financially but, it is no reason to be as depressed as I am.  I cry whenever
>anyone says anything to me.  I take a nap or two during the day (not normal
>for me), and I just let my kids run around and do anything they want to.  I
>am at a point where I just don't care about a whole lot.  I don't have any
>suicidal thoughts or tendencies but, I am very depressed.  I could use any
>info or advice that any of you may have.

It most certainly is!  There is a very srong correlation between depression
and diabetes.  They seem to go hand in hand.  Once again this is another
complication that most doctors don't acknowlege.

I have been in cognitive treatment for severe depression for the past 10
months.  I've studied at least an average of a dozen hours a week over this
time to change my mind.

Depression can be caused by two things:  Cognitive errors  (Having
unhealthy values and thoughts as in "never give up" or "I must put the
welfare of others first" etc etc or by chemical/hormonal aspects.  You must
determine which it is although often a combo of both.

If your symptoms persist for more than 4 weeks; go to your doc and *insist*
on seeing a therapist.  The first and most poorly dealt with aspect of DM
is having good emotional and mental health!

In the meantime do some research on depression.  Here are some useful URLs:

http://mentalhelp.net/guide/dep2quiz.htm
http://www.depression.com/index.html
http://mentalhelp.net/psyhelp/
http://www.livewithdepression.org/home.html

Depression affects more than 4/10 people and it is most prevalent among
thoses with longterm diseases and who have had significant lifestyle
stresses, as in financial problems, family problems etc.  You are not
alone.  Make sure anybody you see understands that diabetes prohibits us
from emotional control due to fluctuating bg's.  The brain only uses 90% of
the O2 it gets but 100% of the Glucose.  So if you're having problems with
defective thinking, as I did, any bg's fluctuations will inhibit your
ability to correct defective thinking.

If you are curently using words, internally or externally, to describe any
aspect of your situation as "hopeless", "...a failure" or
"...worthless..."; you need help.

All teh best; feel free to contact me.

T1 FOR 27 YEARS, 35 YEARS OLD, ONLY SUICIDAL WHEN TOLD "IF YOU WORKED
HARDER AT DM YOU'D HAVE PERECT BG'S"...;-/

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!