[IP] Honeymoon Over?

Dear friends --

It appears the honeymoon is over.

I was dx'ed Type 2 just before Thanksgiving three years ago.  Then, a year
later, was re-dx'ed as Type 1 (LADA), oral meds were removed from my rx, and
I started on insulin.  Then, last February, I started using a pump.  A few
months ago, I started on a roller coaster ride you wouldn't believe (or
maybe you would!).  And now, my insulin needs seem to be evening out again
at a much higher level than I'd been using, with my basal levels at .8
units/hour (Humalog), with a 2.2 units/hour from 4:30 AM to 9 AM to cover my
dawn effect.  In addition, my insulin/carb ratio has gone from 1/9 to 1/6
(1/5.5 at breakfast).

That works out to 25.5 units/day for basals, and about 24 units/day to cover
meals, and that's just about the ratio recommended in Pumping Insulin.  So
now it seems that my beta cells have finally and completely given up the
spirit and I'm operating on exogenous insulin only.  Perhaps the most
frustrating part of all of this is that, because of the incipient lows that
I've been fighting off, my weight has crept up a bit (I'm now at just under
180).  But now, with my insulin needs evening off, I can do something about
that as well and get my weight back down to 170 or a little lower.

I have an appointment with my endo next Monday, and I'll see what he has to
say about all of this.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted