[IP] Good & bad experiences w/health care profs

I ended up in the hospital a few weeks ago when the ulcer on my foot got infected.  I had surgery to debride it and now I am recovering, but I am on crutches or in a wheelchair, and life is difficult.

Anyway...  this is the first time I have been hospitalized with my pump and I had some good and some bad experiences, which I thought I would share:

I have been this route before with 2 prior surgeries, so I knew on Saturday (at my sister's wedding) that I was in trouble.  I tried taking some antibiotics, but they just made me sick.  I went to the ER Sunday morning in Milwaukee, but when we returned home, I could not get anyone to see me on Monday!  It is so frustrating when you know what you need, but no one will listen!

I called my caseworker at the HMO, but she was no help either.  She suggested I call my endo about my high BG's, and to try and get womething for my upset stomach.  When I called to say that I needed some compazine, the nurse relayed a message from the doctor that since I had cancelled my last appointment they would not treat me.  (I talked to the caseworker about this and she told me that the clinic has so many patients, that they will not deal with anyone who does not follow their instructions exactly.  Well, I DON'T believe in being treated like an idiot.  I have 25 years of experience treating my diabetes, and I have a brain; that SHOULD count for something, but apparently not at this place.  I have since decided to switch HMOs starting in Janueary, which will allow me to see a different endo.)

I ended up spending 10 days in the hospital, during which time I was under the care of a staff doctor.  He pretty much told me he would allow me to handle my pump, but if I had problems, to let me know.  We decided together to change my basal rates since we were able to see a pattern of highs.  During my surgery, they had me on a saline drip, and I kept my pump on, although we let my sugar run a little higher (150-180) so they would not have to worry about me bottoming out.

All the nurses who took care of me asked a lot of questions about the pump, and when I did site changes, I did demonstrations.  Many wondered why more diabetics were not on a pump since I had so few problems with control while I was in there.  My thoughts exactly.  Of course, I bristled when someone would make a comment about how my pump was not "doing it's job" if I did have a high.  It was not the pump, it was the user.  Since I didn't have my books with me to count carbs, the doc wrote an order for the kitchen to include carb counts with my meals.  That worked fine, except when they missed items, or wrote down that the pasta salad contained 2g of carb.

So now I just have to hang in there until January.  I will need some scrips written before then, but I made an appointment with my primary physician today, and he will be able to see me on the 21st, and hopefully he will write scrips to take me thru the end of the year.

I gotta give kudos to the hospital staff, and hope that the HMO gets a clue that the health care by their providers leaves a lot to be desired.

Another note:  When I was in a drugstore a few weeks ago, the pharmacist was telling an older lady that she didn't need the Humalog her doctor precribed because it was "no better then Regular, but costs a lot more".  Huh?

iWon.com       http://www.iwon.com     why wouldn't you?