[IP] Re: Q from an oldie

The medical term for that is atrophy (definition: a decrease in
size of a normally developed organ or tissue.)

I thought if the kidneys were functioning at 18% it just meant
that they've lost 82% of their ability to function properly, not
shrunk in size. Hope someone clears this up!

Jan said:
Sometimes we form an *opinion* without questioning why. I have
now heard from 2 people about disappearing organs (internal - not
the keyboard kind). I *assumed* my kidneys functioning at 18%
means the warehouse is still there, but emptying out. Someone
else said they have shrunk to 18% their original size.  Now I
have heard of a lady who has no pancreas. I said she needs a
pump. No, it won't work for her. I said we have a member on this
list whose pancreas was removed when he was a tot and she would
have surgical DM. "No, her pancreas has shrunk down to nothing."
Now, I would like a doctor or RN to reply to this and set me
straight. Are these organs non-functioning or disappearing?

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) due
3/10/01 w/#8

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month! Help fund a cure
(insulin is not a cure, it's life support)!