[IP] Re: Peculiar Insulin Requirements

> My basal rates lie on the low side of the distribution (0.3/hour
> for most of the day), while my insulin to carb ratio tends to be on
> high side, varying between 1:6 and 1:9.  Since I don't use a lot
> of insulin
> in a day my doctor considers me quite sensitive to it.  But the high
> insulin:carb ratio seems to bely that.  Apparently most type 1
> pumpers use
> a ratio from 1:10--1:17 or so

Remember that it is always YMMV.  I too have the same type of regimen.
My basal is 0.2/hour from 9 am till 5 pm, with my carb ratio a little
higher of from 8 grams/unit to 12 grams/unit, depending on the time of
day (and my fasting levels do work out fine).  I have to be very careful
from 11 am on, because of my sensitivity to small changes in insulin.
Today I had a low (52) which makes it appear that I will need to do a
fast, and probably lower my bolus rate for breakfast even further.  I
don't really wnat to lower my basal any below 0.2.  I eat exactly the
same breakfast every day, so I don't think the changes have anything to
do with my diet but only with the changes that are constantly affecting
my body.  Thirty years ago, I used to think that when my need for
insulin lessened, it meant that I may be 'cured' of my diabetes and it
was just a phase.  Maybe this time (g).

Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
Experience is a great advantage. The problem is that when you get the
experience, you're too damned old to do anything about it.
 - Jimmy Connors