[IP] Peculiar Insulin Requirements

Hi members,

This is a question that I've had in the back of my mind for a while now,
and I've decided to go public with it and see what others skilled in the
art think.  I've noticed over the past several years that I have fairly
peculiar insulin requirements as contrasted to the general type 1 pumping
public.  My basal rates lie on the low side of the distribution (0.3/hour
for most of the day), while my insulin to carb ratio tends to be on the
high side, varying between 1:6 and 1:9.  Since I don't use a lot of insulin
in a day my doctor considers me quite sensitive to it.  But the high
insulin:carb ratio seems to bely that.  Apparently most type 1 pumpers use
a ratio from 1:10--1:17 or so.

Anyway, I'm not going to change this formula as long as it works for me,
but I was wondering what the rest of you might speculate about the reason
for this.  I know the final answer is that everyone's different and this is
just how my body works; but still, I'm curious to hear the speculations.

My current hypothesis is that since I've been on a diet--aka meal
plan--most of my life, my body has become extremely efficient at pulling
all the nutrients out of the food; so I get WAY more calories from one
slice of bread than most people do.  That explains the  high insulin to
carb ratio, but not the low basal.

What do you think?

(And, yes, I have done the requisite fasting basal checks ;->)