[IP] Re: kidney stones

I *knew* there was something else I was forgetting!!! When the
kidney stones move, you'll first feel the pain high up in your
back on the side where the stones are. Gradually, the pain will
radiate to the flank and then later, around to the groin. It is
gradual and intermittent (like I said, you never know when they
will move. And then you might have 5mins of pain or 6-8 hrs or
more of pain.) I found a heating pad to be the best pain reliever
(they gave me tylenol 3 - whoopee! Didn't do a thing!)
Also, you may notice some bloating in the abdomen. This isn't
anything to worry about but it is annoying. What happens is that,
as the stone(s) move down the ureter, they also irritate the
bowels which causes them to swell. I'm sure some of it is water
retention as well (and/or urine being pooled and backing up
behind the stones.) The bloating goes away after the stones pass.
The stones may affect the blood pressure slightly too. Mine was
slightly elevated until I passed my stones, at which time it went
back to normal. I also noticed that my menstrual cycles were a
little screwy, although I don't know why (they were normal after
I passed the stones.)
Just some more things to watch for. Hopefully you won't have
these problems.

PS...some stones can actually be caused by a specific bacteria so
sometimes people who have problems with UTI/kidney/bladder
infections will also have stones. This isn't always the case
though. You could have one of the other types of stones and just
happen to have a kidney infection at the same time.

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) due
3/10/01 w/#8

~ November is National Diabetes Awareness Month! Help fund a
cure! ~