[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #599

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:54:59 -0800
From: "Claudia" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] newsreporter's Q

>>How would those of you who went into comas for dx have answered that Q?<<

Ugh... I was a young-un but my key memories were being unable to stay
awake and having trouble breathing.  Each breath was a struggle as I
wheezed for air.  I would sleep >20 hours, my mom would wake me up to
give me something to eat and while she disappeared for 10 min I would
slip back into sleep for another 4 hours.

I couldn't stay awake in the waiting room full of screaming kids.

I know I was skinny; mom kept feeding me "treats" to fatten me up!  Ha -
at least I had a last blast.

By the time I hit the ER I remember being in general unhappy - I know
that's vague, but I was only 6.  I was in and out of consciousness -
confused - dazed - not scared - not in pain - but oh so tired, and they
wouldn't let me "sleep."  They kept poking me with needles (veins had
collapsed so they couldn't get iv's in) which would startle me back into

It surprises me that I do not remember crying - but I do vividly
remember thinking that I would have to go to the doctor's office every
day to get those shots - boy was I shocked that MOM (and I??!!!) were
going to handle that.  Diabetes wasn't as treated as hard core back then
- which I am sure was scarier for mom and dad - but for me made it
easier - no finger sticks - no testing 4+ times a day... that is why
some us had a hard time getting used to this new regimen and "roll our
eyes" at the parents concerned over someone being 180 after a meal ;)
No offense meant - it's just kind of the way you are introduced to
things.  I am still happy with a number under 200!

SIgh... I"m rambling, I'd better quit.