[IP] Aniversary Dedication

Okay, last night I was eating dinner and thinking
about one of my class assignments.  For that class, I
am supposed to "create" a 6 min. instructional video.
I decided to make my video about diabetes,
specifically the steps to prepare to eat.  (You know,
testing, figuring out carbs, protein & fat in food and
how insulin is taken.)

Anyway, as I was eating, I was working out how I
wanted things to appear in the video.  I was more
concerned about what I would appear to be eating than
anything else, so I was trying to decide what I was
"eating."  I decided I wanted it to appear to be at
snacktime (which in reality it actually was) and I was
thinking about what was avaliable in our campus'
store.  (I only have cereal this week to snack on and
I didn't want to eat that.)

As I was thinking about all that, I was wishing that I
could eat one of those Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars since
one of those would make up most of my snack, but
unfortunately, our store doesn't sell them anymore.

So there I was racking my brain.....  Then I suddenly
thought about Pop Tarts, since they are easy to carry,
and look "snackier" than what I was orignally thinking
about having.

Then, all of a sudden it hit me: NOVEMBER 2nd IS MY 2

Then I got depressed, not because I am diabetic, but
because I remembered that POP TARTS were the last
thing that I ate before the "you have diabetes so you
can't eat any more sugar-y foods" lecture from my
doctor.  Since Pop Tarts were the last thing I ate and
they really aren't my favorite food, I remembered the
regret that I had had that morning about what I SHOULD
have been snacking on.......

I did the video early this morning, and have spent
most of the day thinking about having diabetes and the
changes I have gone through.

The biggest change is that I can now "do stuff" with
needles.  Even though shots are very painful, I can do
them, and what is even weirder is that I can make
jokes and laugh about it.  Needle-ss to say, I still
hate needles, but I CAN give myself a shot, insert
infusion sets, check my sugar (lancets ARE little
needles after all), etc.  I KNOW I never would have
even thought about all of this if I hadn't been

So now I am thinking about the future, and am
celebrating how far I have come in the past 2 years.
Somehow, even though I don't like diabetes and wish it
would go away, I feel I have become a healther person
because of being diabetic.  I pay more attention to my
body, and I exercise more and eat COMPLETELY healthier
because of diabetes.  Is this one of those situations
similar to "it takes blindness to see"!?!?!

I know these next comments are going to be too sweet
(I am already puking), but I just wanted to ask all of
you to spend a few seconds thinking about diabetes and
how its changed your life - for better or worse - and
celebrate how far along we have all come and will
continue to go until a cure......

I personally am dedicating this e-mail to all
diabetics and their family/friends, past and present,
with complications or without, vetran and new-ly
diagnosed, etc.  I wish you all the best of luck!!!
Keep fighting and never give up until this disease
becomes a distant memory!!!

Diabetes hugs, :-)

Melissa Collins

Do You Yahoo!?