[IP] cobra question/pre-existing condition

Suppose you lose your job, and the insurance lasts until the end of Nov.
But you don't receive the cobra info until halfway through Dec because
it takes 4-6 weeks to get it sent to you. I know that when you get cobra
started, it will be retroactive to the beginning of Dec and cover any
charges incurred during those 2 weeks. HOWEVER, my question is: when you
get a new job, and thus new insurance, can the new insurance company
look at this and say that there has been a lapse in coverage during
those first 2 weeks of Dec, making you subject to the waiting period for
pre-existing condition?
Also, I believe people have stated that if you have been continuously
covered by insurance, that a new insurance company must apply that time
to any waiting period they have for pre-existing conditions. Is this a
national thing, or does it vary by state?