[IP] Extended travel & medical Waste

Frank wrote:
>  question for all of our globe trotting Pumpers.  I am hoping to
>  spend 2 months...traveling thru Central Europe.  Has anyone
> gone on the road with 2 months of supplies?  what was your
>  experience.  Also, how did you deal with disposal of your
> medical waste?

Hi Frank:

I did 7 weeks in France 2 years ago on the pump.  I figured out how much
supplies I would need if it was a perfect world, then added about 1/2
more....and that went for everything from reservoirs to bard prep, to insulin
to lancets (I think I brought 20 of those, which is more than I use in 7
months let alone 7 weeks!!).

I stayed in youth hostels in Nice, Cap D'ail, Bayonne, Paris, with a friend's
mom outside of Paris, and a small hotel in Rouen.  For everything with a
needle - ie lancet, syringes and introducer needle, I kept a couple of
Profile jars and crammed them in there.  I would carry them around until I
found a good dumpster - not just the little bin in the hostel bathroom, ya
know?  I tried to avoid anywhere someone digging around could get poked, but
then the sharp things were always in the profile cannister.  All the other
crap - tubing, big end of reservoir, insulin bottles, misc packaging, just
went whereever the chocolate wrappers and pastry bags were headed!

The only thing I would be wary of is if you are using Humalog.  I use
Velosulin so starting out with 2 1/2 bottles wasn't such a problem...I kept
them out of direct sun and when possible kept the unopened ones in the fridge
(most hostels and b&bs will let you use the fridge).  I don't have travel
experience with H, so I have no suggestions.

Where in Central Europe are you going?  The more remote and off the beaten
path, the more difficult it will be to get emergency supplies.  In France, i
KNOW I can find meters, insulin and insulin syringes, so I am not so worried
if I have a pump malfunction...a little inconvenience, maybe, but no reason
to cut my trip short...