[IP] thick /thin blood - ketchup

When I was diagnosed with unbelievably high sugar levels (something like
over 1500), all my veins collapsed and they couldn't get an IV started - is
that because of the thick blood at high levels idea or is it just another
way the body can't function in an acidic environment (DKA)?  My lungs
weren't working too well either now that I think back to it - I was wheezing
and had extremely extremely heavy breathing even while I was sleeping....

Hmmm... just curious - always like to know the science behind it :)