[IP] Re: After Wrestling Highs

Hi Mag - I don't know if I can be of any help in explaining some of what
goes on with intense exercise (such as wrestling, or soccer)..... but I
would be happy to try.  The physiology of exercise is pretty amazing, so
what we are trying to do as pumpers is not exactly easy.  There are actually
a number of things that contribute to the highs after exercise - "anaerobic"
or "power-type, high intensity" exercise requires the body to pull glucose
from both muscle and liver stores.  The metabolic pathways both during and
after exercise for this type of activity are different than lower intensity,
more "aerobic" exercise.  The highs AFTER exercise are related as well to
the amount of lactic acid that is produced.  Lactic acid is converted to
glucose, and is meant to be utilized to meet post exercise metabolism needs,
or to be stored as muscle glycogen, replacing that which was used during the
exercise.  Therefore, the more intense activities that produce a lot of
lactic acid are more likely to raise blood sugars after exercise.  If you
correct for post exercise highs you may need to use less than your "usual"
correction factor as metabolism post exercise is still elevated and your
body is using greater amounts of glucose for energy.
	As for Matt's numbers and your hard work, give yourself lots of credit -
his exercise numbers are quite good!  Although it certainly doesn't hurt to
try, in my professional opinion (I'm a clinical exercise physiologist and a
CDE), my "guess" is that you will need to bolus some for dinner.. although
perhaps raising the carb/ratio even more might help.  I have found that
replacing just under half the missed basal works for me... and knowing how
intense wrestling is, perhaps you would have the most luck replacing that
about 3/4 through his workout.  And try to avoid the carbs towards the end
of the exercise, as you know that lactic acids effects aren't far off.  The
most frustrating part about all this is that unfortunately practice workouts
can vary significantly day to day.  Perhaps this is not as true in wrestling
as it is in track for example, but just keep that in mind as you play with
this.  Competition is a WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY!  *lol*  And one other thing to
remember, adaptation due to training will change how Matt responds to
things.  Exercise becomes easier as one's body adapts and becomes more fit.
Less lactic acid is produced, less glycogen may be dumped from liver and
muscle, blood sugar fluctuations may become much less dramatic - things
often *do* get easier!  :)
	Exercise & the glycemic response to it is so individual.... another example
of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary!).  From the exercise physiology standpoint I
would be happy to try to assist anyone who is struggling with similar
issues.  I also have an even more detailed explanation than this that I
posted to this list a while back - I will send that to anyone who wishes.
Please feel free to email me privately.  If I can help, I will.  :)

~Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE
Clinical Exercise Physiologist
MM507 11/97, Type 1 since '83