Re: [IP] Re:A cure around the corner!!?

In a message dated 11/27/99 12:01:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Well Said, Jack
 mail to :email @ redacted
 -----Original Message-----
 From: Jack Granowski <email @ redacted>
 To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
 Date: 26 November, 1999 11:16 PM
 Subject: [IP] Re:A cure around the corner!!?
 >I really don't want to be pessimistic, but, coincidentally I was diagnosed
 with dm
 >Oct/66 at the University of Minnesota Hospitals.  The Doctors told me that
 >WOULD  be a cure within 5-10 years, if not 3-5, which must be a standard
 >there.  Being 19, this really lifted my spirits, for awhile.  I really
 didn't take
 >care of myself as well as I should have.  I both drank and smoked, after
 all, there
 >would be a cure soon, so why worry?  When it got to be the '80's I became
 >depressed and pretty much gave up on a cure or even to keep trying.
 >I think that if I had known the truth, it would have bothered me more then,
 but I
 >would be in better shape now.  Maybe I wouldn't have the little
 'annoyances' that I
 >have now (neuropathy, retinopathy, etc.), and maybe I wouldn't have had
 quite as
 >many reactions (TesTape only gave an idea of what the sugar was 2 hours
 before).  I
 >do believe the doctors must tell their patients to be prepared for having
 it for a
 >long time.  With the possibility that there may be a cure soon.
 >I think every dm should 'Hope for the best, plan for the worst and settle
 >anything in between'.  There has been a lot of things in between - better
 >testers, insulin's (I started on U40/80 and now we have Humalog, Humulin,
 >pumps and on and on.
 >When there is a cure (haven't they been working on islet implants for about
 >years?), will it be available to everyone, immediately?  Will they provide
 it to
 >youngsters, before they have too much damage, or those that are on deaths
 door, in
 >an emergency?  I'm not going to make plans for a cure party, until I have
 >Jack Granowski
 >email @ redacted
 >Experience is a great advantage. The problem is that when you get the
 >experience, you're too damned old to do anything about it.
 > - Jimmy Connors

I think the commentary from Jack G. is quite accurate.  I recently attended
the The Diabetes Symposium held in Miami Beach, with experts from all over
the world.  Briefly, there are tons of scientists working on diabetes cures,
but they don't  believe it will be a standard until at least 15 years.  They
discussed using donor islets, also manufacturing them.  Lots of FDA problems,
not to mention financial founding, not to mention, when they do get it
perfected---------- "Who get it?"
Be smart NOW---------take care of ourselves-----the better we do it, the
longer and better quality of life we can expect.
Diagnosed Age 41
Diabetic x 8 years     Pumping x 7yrs