[IP] Re:A cure around the corner!!?

> I just wanted to comment on a news story that was done on our local
> television station.  It sounds SO PROMISING!!!! I live in Minnesota, and as many
> of you know, the University of Minnesota are doing LOTS of research on inslet
> (spelling?) cells transplants. The new story went inside their labs, etc... and
> did an interview with a
> main researcher there.  He said that they are SO CLOSE to a cure right now.
> He expects within 5-10 years.  Yes, I know, I've heard those estimates
> before!!!!  He said for right now he doesn't call this "a cure" until the
> patients DO NOT have to take all those anti-rejection drugs.  So, that's
> what they are working on.  To eliminate all the drugs that a person has to
> take.
> He sounded so promising and really lifted my spirits.  He said within 5-10
> years.... but, also said he wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 3-5
> years because they are so close to succeeding with it all.

> Keep the Faith everyone!!!
> Suzanne

I really don't want to be pessimistic, but, coincidentally I was diagnosed with dm
Oct/66 at the University of Minnesota Hospitals.  The Doctors told me that there
WOULD  be a cure within 5-10 years, if not 3-5, which must be a standard line
there.  Being 19, this really lifted my spirits, for awhile.  I really didn't take
care of myself as well as I should have.  I both drank and smoked, after all, there
would be a cure soon, so why worry?  When it got to be the '80's I became very
depressed and pretty much gave up on a cure or even to keep trying.

I think that if I had known the truth, it would have bothered me more then, but I
would be in better shape now.  Maybe I wouldn't have the little 'annoyances' that I
have now (neuropathy, retinopathy, etc.), and maybe I wouldn't have had quite as
many reactions (TesTape only gave an idea of what the sugar was 2 hours before).  I
do believe the doctors must tell their patients to be prepared for having it for a
long time.  With the possibility that there may be a cure soon.

I think every dm should 'Hope for the best, plan for the worst and settle for
anything in between'.  There has been a lot of things in between - better blood
testers, insulin's (I started on U40/80 and now we have Humalog, Humulin, etc.),
pumps and on and on.

When there is a cure (haven't they been working on islet implants for about 10
years?), will it be available to everyone, immediately?  Will they provide it to
youngsters, before they have too much damage, or those that are on deaths door, in
an emergency?  I'm not going to make plans for a cure party, until I have an
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
Experience is a great advantage. The problem is that when you get the
experience, you're too damned old to do anything about it.
 - Jimmy Connors