Re: [IP] Those inexplicable BGs

 >      I met a mom this past weekend whose 9 yr old pumper son was "test
 >driving" Minimed's continuous glucose sensor. The "bottom line" observation
 >that she related to me was that her son's bg was 200 at midnight & then 200
 >again when she checked him at 4:00 am. Logical conclusion was that his basal
 >was too low- right? Wrong! Turned out that the CGS revealed that he had
 >DROPPED after that midnight reading & REBOUNDED to what she detected at 4:00
 >am, which just coincidentally appeared to have been an unchanged bg since
 >midnight!!!!!

Thank you!! Its almost impossible to fine tune something when all you have
are crude tools. It's like trying to measure things to a 1/10 of a gram
with a scale that isn't accurate to more than a 1 gram. I've always said
that the major problem with our BG meters is that they only give you a
single snapshot of one moment in time. There isn't a hint as to whether the
BGs are going up, down or stable. To be really accurate you need to have a
series of readouts over a long period of time. Even then, our current
meters are only +/- 20%.

One of these days we'll get access to relatively accurate reliable CGS
systems that we can read ourselves, then we will have a tool that can help
make a real difference.

Sam