[IP] Re: Tom's daughter - pump?

My daughter, age 6, just started pumping.  She was dxed 12/21/98.  The pump
maximizes your chances at good control while providing everyone with a
better quality of life...no more eating at the same times everyday, even
when your not hungry but have to eat.  Our endo was reluctant to put Laura
on the pump also, telling us to wait till she hit puberty. Why should we
sacrifice YEARS of depriving our children of the best control possible?  NO
WAY!!!! I fear what damage is being done to her little body with her high
and low bgs. I want the best control now!   So I found an endo that would
put her in the pump.  He has many children on the pump.

Another reason I would not wait till puberty (12 - 13 yrs of age)is because
children (toddlers) are more open to change.  Teenagers are rebellious and
may not be as open to change as younger children.  I try to imagine someone
trying to hook me up to a pump at 13yrs of age when I was so worried about
appearances, boys, etc.... I say let your daughter get use to it now so it
becomes a part of her and then she can deal with real teenage issues when
she is a teenager. My 6 yr old thinks it is the coolest thing to have her
pump on...everyone thinks it's a beeper!

Please don't deprive your daughter of what she deserves.  Fight for her
right to have the best life possible while living with diabetes.  My
daughter loves her pump, and although she is only pumping saline, she can't
wait for the day to go live on insulin (January 2000).  There are 5 other
children going live with her.  They will be in the hospital for 3 days and
having a "pump party" as her endo calls it.

All my best to you and your family.

Laura Lentini-Iaffaldano
Mother of Laura, age 6, dxed 12/21/98