[IP] Nutrition Action

Here's the latest issue [Dec. 99] and what it had to say about diabetes.  It
disturbed me, in much the same way as that "One Candy Bar Away from a Coma"
article did.  I will type it in so the typos are probably mine <g>  - can't
blame them for that.  Sadly, I've always found this to be an excellent
magazine, and whereas the info isn't so inaccurate in may respects-  well,
you tell me what you think.  I've a mind to start a letter campaign.

(There's info here on Heart Diseas and Stroke and then of course the big D)

An explosion.  That's how experts describe worldwide diabetes rates, which
are expected to double in the next ten years.

And type 2 diabetes- which used to be called "adult-onset"- is now being
diagnosed adolescents.  So why does diabetes belong in the "Diseases We Can
Prevent" group?

We know that obesity is, by far, the most important cause of diabetes.
"Studies suggest that more than 80% of diabetes is due to overweight and
obesity," says JoAnn Manson of Harvard Medical School.  "It has an enormous
impact on risk."

That's one reason why experts predict a surge in diabetes:  worldwide
obesity rates are soaring.  In the U.S> "the prevalence of obesity has
increased 30% in the last ten to 15 years," explains Manson.  The incidence
of diabetes has also climbed.

As a nation, we're paying the piper for years of "supersize" frieds and
all-you-can-eat buffets.  "Obesity is more closely linked to diabestes than
any other health problem," says Manson.  "A woman of average weight in the
U.S. is at risk for diabetes.  She has double the risk of woman of optimal

A sedentary lifestyle also boosts the odds, whether you're overweight or
not.  "Physical activity can reduce the risk of diabetes," says Manson.
"Even moderate exercise such as walking is protective."

One of her studies suggests that foods that are higher in fiber and that are
less likely to raise blood sugar may help prevent the disease. "Whole grain
foods are associated with a lower risk, " she says.  "Calcium, magnesium,
potassium, and antioxidants may also lower the risk, but it's surpring how
little is known about their impact on diabetes."

I think they left a 'few million' people out of the running here.  I am even
more aggravated as my mom handed chubby me the magazine.  I actually had my
own brother tell me once that if I lost some weight I could probably get rid
of this disease.  Did I mention lately that these kinda folks annoy me to no

If you want to write ;
Nutrition Action Healthletter
Center for Science in the Publis Interest
Suite 300, 1875 Connecticut Avenue, N>W>
Washington, D.C.  20009-5728