RE: [IP] Insulin and memory loss

I believe the article quoted refers to a study published in the August 1999
Diabetes Care (Diabetes Care 22:1318-1324, 1999) that looked at conventional
vs. intensive therapy for kids. The study found a minor memory-related
problem associated with hypoglycemia, not high levels of insulin.

For more information, you can read:
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_110.htm

which has a link to the full text of the study report.

Jeff Hitchcock - email @ redacted
Children with Diabetes - http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of email @ redacted
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 10:15 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Insulin and memory loss

Re: the article; unless they tell us the specifics about the children in the
study, ie: how long they were diabetic, ages, insulin doses, etc., the study
is fairly meaningless. Insulin has been associated with artery changes and
other adverse effect in the body. However. the body does make insulin when
one is not a type DM 1. The problems are similar to type 2's who produce
insulin yet are resistant. The theory is that the "excess" insulin floating
around and not being utilized by the body may cause adverse effect.
SOOOO.......one may be able to postulate that a high carbohydrate diet which
require more insulin may also promote adverse insulin effects, whatever they
are. The bottom line; I wouldn't make too much of this alone. If you are
having problems with your memory look at all the other factors which may
contribute to that.
Good luck.
Joann