Re: [IP] "Candy Bar away from a Coma"

In a message dated 11/19/99 12:18:56 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I just wasn't happy with the title "A Candy Bar Away from a Coma"
 Wouldn't it have been just as accurate and pretty refreshing to read:  "A
 Sandwich....,  A Banana....,   A Baked Potato...   Or even a Bagel away from
 a Coma?" >>

But the clinic didn't tell him he was just a bagel away from a coma. The
clinic told him he was just a candy bar away from a coma. Perhaps the letters
should be directed to the clinic rather than to the newspaper. After all, the
paper was only quoting somebody who was quoting a health-care "professional."

I can understand your concerns about the headline. I get very frustrated at
people who believe DM-ers can't eat sugar, or that eating sugar causes DM.
But, as you said, the article was very well-written. The accompanying sidebar
also was very well-written. It also addressed the different types of DM and
pointed out that all foods can raise your BGs. I, too, was upset with the hed
-- until I read the article and sidebar and realized that the words in the
hed came from what the source had been told. DM is a very complex disease and
the reporter did an excellent job.

You should know that, besides having DM, I'm a newspaper reporter and editor,
so I understand their side, too. It was a good quote. Eye-catching. Made
people want to read the article. Heds like that aren't easy to come by.
(Trust me -- I *know*! LOL)

I guess that, just as you got frustrated at the headline, I got frustrated at
your (perceived) implications that somebody who is overweight shouldn't
represent diabetes. The letter wasn't written in anger. Rather, it was just
trying to explain my side. I'm sorry.

All of us who have -- or live with someone who has -- DM gets frustrated and
angry at the lack of understanding from the general population. Those of us
who are in the news business also get frustrated at those who don't
understand what it's like to work on deadline, often writing about a topic we
don't fully understand.

You probably know about the "Diabetes Police." But I also know all too much
about the "apostrophe police," the "spelling police," the "accuracy police,"
the "PC police,": the "headline police ..." Yea, verily, even the "border
patrol" (as in "you left part of the border off my ad!!!" Sorry -- I don't do
graphics, I don't do pagination and I certainly don't run the presses.) Well
-- you name it. For as hard as we try, nothing is ever perfect -- either in
DM or in the news business. In fact, when people ask me how an article was
received, I can be darned sure that it's OK if I haven't heard anybody
complain. LOL (And, for the record, I often want to snarl, "Well, *you* try
it!" when somebody complains. Alas, I have to be nice to the readers. :-\  )

I did write the managing editor and, yes, I did say something about the "only
a candy bar away from a coma." But I said shame on the person who said that
to the source. Not shame on the paper for innocently running it. Other than
that, I complimented them on their excellent and accurate articles. For they
were that. On the other hand, I've also written reporters and blasted them
for being obviously sloppy and loose with the facts. This one was not. Once
again, she was merely quoting a health care "professional."

I hope you understand where I'm coming from -- from both sides of the issue.
And I'm not disturbed or angry or whatever about this, either. Just trying to
promote some understanding.