RE: [IP] I talked to my endo...

First take a deep breath.  It is important to remember that
what the endo says and what you hear may be two completely
different things.

Second, your company should have information regarding the
insurance company they are switching to.  Often these decisions
are made months ahead of time.  But don't get passed on to the
employees.  If you haven't already, you may want to contact
the benefits person(s) at your company to ask specifically which
insurance plan they are switching to and if they have contact
numbers.  This isn't an unreasonable request considering you
will need to know what your copays and coverage are for your
other supplies, including knowing if your current doctors are
covered under the new plan.

Third, you need to get in contact with the doctors pump person
and have a discussion with them over what their start policy is
and what exactly their qualifications are.  In my situation the
second endo I went to was very pro pump.  When I tried to ask him
more questions on their start policy, etc. he said he left it all
up to his pump nurse.  (this was June 1999) When I talked to his
pump nurse, I made the immediate decision to look elsewhere.  The
pump nurse pulled out a MM506 and preceded to tell me this was the
newest and greatest invention on earth.  You hooked yourself in and
you were off.  I stopped him and asked him if he had information on
a newer model and bit my tongue on correcting him on the whole "hook
yourself" part.  He said he thought maybe they had a 507 or something
coming out soon.  I knew that the 507c was already out and was wondering
if this guy was really the "pump" expert there. I asked him about the D
and he said "oh yeah...I think there is another brand out there, but I
don't do those."  After hearing this I gave him a long lesson on the pump
and ended up switching roles.  he was asking me question. :)  Needless to
say the doctors office was horrible about getting back to me so I just
found another doctor.  I knew that if I knew more then the person starting
me...I was in a lot of trouble.  Don't get me wrong I am a pretty smart
person who knows alot about myself and my diabetes, but I like the idea
that if I can't figure something out they might be able too.  Well that
and this list. :)

In addition to this long rant...you should consider the failure that the
doctor did have.  This may be a sign that they don't have a good support
system.  Or maybe just a bad group of pump patients. ;)  The current doctor
I am seeing had some failures when they started putting patients on pumps
learned that it wasn't so much the patient but the fact that they had
expectations that were too high when they first started.  So they revamped
their program to educate the patients before they start on the good and
the bad. Then they have you start on saline for a week to get used to
the set changes without the insulin.  And then start the insulin.  The first
week on insulin I talk to the CDE every other day and I also have her pager
number which I am to use 24/7 if anything comes up.  This plan also is to
my know how to change for my body.  The CDE will not change anything without
me know why it was done and how it should help.  Since starting this they
have a
0% failure rate.

Ok long message coming to an end,
Good luck,