Re: [IP] diabetes awareness

In a message dated 11/17/99 5:11:26 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< He's had to start exercising and
 eating differently but he's trying to keep his numbers where they should be
 and even losing weight.  That was all good.  HOWEVER, the title of the
 article was "One Candy Bar away from a Coma"  And this fellow on the front
 page was very heavy!  >>

I dunno. I went to the paper's Web site and read the article, in which it
said he was *told* he was "one candy bar away from a coma." It was actually a
very good article and amazingly accurate. It also noted that he had lost
weight. Perhaps the entire article should have been printed instead of just
the headline.

And, ya know, I'm "very heavy" too! Should that have prevented me from being
interviewed Wednesday by a TV news crew about the symptoms of DM, pumping and
about how much better I feel since I've been in good control? Or do you think
I should have told them to find a skinny DM-er -- even if that person doesn't
know much about the disease?  :-)

Interestingly, the TV people called me because I was recommended to them by
the hospital and by the local endocrinologist who reallize that, *despite my
weight*, I have a great deal of knowledge about diabetes -- through a lot of
education. I think, too, that among the better health care professionals, the
initial emphasis is becoming more on controlling (or managing) diabetes,
rather than yelling at the patients to lose weight. Amazingly, once you get
your BGs in a decent range, you feel more like exercising and eating right.

I remember when my BGs were running high all the time, I was just
s-o-o-o-o-o-o hungry! (I'm type 2, BTW.) And so tired, I'd fall asleep as
soon as I sat down. There was a time I was afraid to drive far because I
feared falling asleep. The problem is that, unlike type 1s, who don't make
insulin, my body was. In fact, it was probably making too much insulin. But,
because my cell receptors didn't work properly, the sugar couldn't get into
my cells. My BGs were high, my insulin output was high, my body was telling
me it was starving and I was feeding it -- and I gained weight.

It was such a relief to *finally* get to a place where the empahsis was on
gaining control." (By then, I think I was into beta-cell "poop-out.") The
most amazing thing happened: My energy came back, I felt like riding my bike
again and the pounds started coming off -- slowly, but coming off. (Now if I
could just stop the deadline stress eating!!!! LOL)

I don't believe that being overweight makes me a bad person. Nor do I believe
that it should exclude me from publicly addressing the importance of
education, DM management and methods of control. Perhaps somebody will see
the spot -- and read that article -- and be given hope that *despite their
weight* they, too, can begin to tame the "Diabeastie."