[IP] MM508 Software Problem Corrected

 MiniMed Inc. Announces Patient Notification
      SYLMAR, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 19,
1999--MiniMed Inc. (Nasdaq:
MNMD) announced today that it is initiating a patient
notification procedure
relating to a rare and minor software error which could
occur in certain of
its Model 508 insulin infusion pumps distributed since
October 1999.
      MiniMed reported that this situation may be created
by a very specific
programming sequence that some users may possibly follow.
The company stated
that the issue has been addressed, and all products shipped
beginning today
contain an upgraded version of the software.
      Alfred E. Mann, MiniMed's Chairman and CEO, stated,
"This situation was
identified quickly as a result of the strict performance
monitoring which we
conduct on all of our products. A notification containing
instructions which will eliminate this potential occurrence
has been sent to
those pump users who purchased Model 508 pumps from October
4 through
November 18. We believe that the MiniMed 508 offers the
state of the art in
safety, reliability and clinical benefit for patients who
treat their
diabetes with continuous insulin infusion."
      Terrance H. Gregg, MiniMed's President and Chief
Operating Officer,
added, "Our independent medical monitor confirmed for us
that this anomaly
does not represent an urgent matter. In addition to the
patient notification,
we will upgrade the software in the affected pumps early
next year.

*  -- Susan K.  (^i^)               *
*      E-mail: email @ redacted  *
*        Fax: (530) 380-8851        *