Re: [IP] Bagels

In a message dated 11/18/99 9:32:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< Well, everyone,
         I may be WAY off base with this but my theory is that bagels tend to
 be much more dense in texture than regular bread, thus the difference in
 calculating the carbs.  We used to have problems with my son eating bagels
 until we started using the "carb factors" method listed in the back of "Stop
 the Rollercoaster".  You weigh the food on a gram scale and then multiply
 weight by the carb factor for that particular food.  Bagels are listed with
 carb factor of .56 and regular bread is listed as .53  so for instance, a
 bagel (we're from NYC so we get the BIG ones here :-)  weighing 114g (that's
 the size my son had this past weekend) would be figured out by:
 114g X .56 = 63.84
 Then you would divide 64 carbs (rounded off) by your regular carb to insulin
 ratio (my son's is 12:1) so that would give him a bolus of 5.4 for that
 bagel.  Now we have bagels pretty much every Sunday and we never have a
 problem with his BG's when using this method.  In fact, this past Sunday he
 was 139 at wake up and we bolused for the bagel listed above and two hours
 later he was 128!  Now, if you figure out 114g into ounces, that would be
 ounces!  So, compared to what some other posts figured for a 4 ounce bagel,
 there is quite a difference.  I hope this info helps.....Until we started
 using this method, bagels ALWAYS made Steven high.....now we enjoy them
 Kelly >>

I grew up on bagels.  If I couldn't eat them I would not be happy.  I have
one for breakfast each morning.  I have found that bagels vary from 65 to 75
grams of carbs.  The varying factor is who made the bagel.  Once I've zeroed
in on the carb count, I do very well.  Up until lately I was having a
horrible time because my basals weren't set correctly (something I've fixed).

My breakfast ratio is 1:4 (units to carbs).  Right now, the bagels I'm eating
are the fresh kind, not those rubbery frozen ones.  The frozen ones is are
usually 55g/carbs.  Although some of them go up as high as 75.  The fresh
ones I eat now are about 70g/carbs each.  And I'm getting back to my after
meal target (Bg = 140) almost all of the time.

Basically, just play with your bolus.  But do it very slowly.  It may take
some time to find the right bolus for the bagels you eat.  And remember too,
with regard to fresh bagels, each bagelry's product varies.  They'll probably
be close, but not exact.