[IP] Re: I can see, but my doctor can't

. >> I know that I will probably develop
retinopathy, that there are good treatments for it, and that it will not be
the end
of the world when/if it happens.  But I'm holding on to optimism, and I
expect my
medical team to do the same.  My first visit with this ophthalmologist will
also be
my last.

Dear Jen,
    I totally agree that the doctor was out of line.  We diabetics don't
just sail through this disease with our blinders on.  We know what the
"possible" risks are and realize that there is always a chance that we will
suffer through one or more of them.  But, we shouldn't focus on the what if
this happens......... bit.  This only causes stress--which then effects the
blood sugars we are trying so hard to control.  Glad you said your visit was
the first AND LAST!  We don't need people doomsday attitudes, but need good
positive support.  Glad you don't have any problems with retinopathy.  I
don't either and it has been 16 1/2 years from dx.  Keep taking care of
yourself by making sure you have the right kinds of people in your team.