Re: [IP] Bagels

I think the key difference nutritionally between bagels and plain white
bread is that bagels generally contain a good amount of non-diastatic malt
powder or syrup, a sweet derivative of roasted barley malt.  It's also added
to the water they're boiled in.  This gives them their slightly sweet flavor
and shiny crust.
I couldn't find any information on the GI of malt syrup, but being a home
brewer, I do know that it is sweet!
Now if I could only find a bagel that was worth bolusing 8 units for...
Liz (who used to live in the NYC area and misses real bagels)