Re: [IP] Endo says YES to pump, but...

Carolyn, I think you need to talk to another endo about the pump.  While
I am not a woman and don't have to worry about menopause and such, your
doctor's analysis of your situation seems pretty flawed to me.  Of
course, everyone is different (just look at all the things happening to
everyone on this list!!), but you sound like an ideal candidate for a
pump.  My situation is somewhat similar to yours, I am 52 diagnosed at
17 and taking insulin ever since.  Fortunately, I have not had any of
the long term complications of diabetes because I have worked hard
("obsessed" sometimes!) to keep it under control.  I went on the pump
about 2 months ago and I told my doctor and pump nurse that my goal was
to keep my blood sugar in the 80-140 range "as much as possible."
Reality is that you can't do that all the time, but I wanted to strive
for that kind of control.  Both my endo and pump nurse told me that it
would be very difficult to do that without having a lot of problems with
low blood sugar.  I told them that I would be careful and check my blood
sugar often to avoid hypoglycemia (I check 8-10 times a day).

So how have things gone for me on the pump so far?  Within 2 days of
being on the pump, my blood sugar readings were more stable than they
had been since I was diagnosed.  And while I don't always stay in the
range I want, most of the time I do.  In only 6 weeks, my A1C dropped
from 7.9 to 7.3.  I feel better, have more energy and my wife tells me I
am in a much better mood.  Over the previous 8 months, I had developed
the Dawn Phenomenon (I had switched from animal insulin to Humilin).  It
is barely apparent now and easy to correct for on the pump by increasing
the basel rate in the early morning hours.  Trying to keep my blood
sugar in the 80-140 range, I have had some lows, but none that I
couldn't recognize and take care of myself.  Prior to going on the pump,
I had way too many lows, just like you, and it was a serious problem for
me.  My awareness of low blood sugar has also improved markedly so that
I can almost always tell that it is time to get something to eat.  But
with the stability I have on the pump, needing to stop and eat something
does not occur very often any more.  And with your 5 kids, the
flexibility that the pump provides (no more eating to schedule, you eat
when you are READY!) would be a god-send, I am sure.

Since your endo has taken some of the wind out of your pumping sails, I
would low to blow some wind back into them.  I don't see anything in
what you wrote that indicates any reason that you should not do very
well on a pump.  Using a pump requires taking responsibility and paying
attention to detail and caring about how you treat yourself; you
certainly appear to have all that.  Using a pump makes it much, much
easier to control your diabetes.  If your endo is uncooperative, find
one that is.  The pump is magic, it will change your life.

Good luck, may you soon join us as happy pumpers.

Bob Goodman
San Francisco Bay Area