Re: [IP] Bagels

I hear what you are saying david, but I agree with Kelly ( and Natalie)
that it's just a matter of figuring out how many carbs are in those things.
I too find that I need about 4 U (which would cover 60 g for me) for each
bagel.  And I also find that even though they are dense, some part of those
carbs start to covert relatively quickly.  So on bagel day, I tend to bolus
15 min before (like your supposed to with H, but I rarely do;-).  Give it a
try David.  If you still go too high, increase the bolus by 25% and try
again.  Sounds like this could be a fun experiment *S*.

<<<<<<<This was my exact reaction too. When I saw what bagels were doing to my
sugars I read up on breads in general. I tried putting some spread on the
bagels (I had been eating them plain). Thought that would slow down the
rise. It didn't. Regular bread does not do this to me. I'm sure there is a
logical explanation out there but I haven't been able to find it. <g> Do you
not have this problem? If I could find a way to fix it I would because I
really enjoy bagels and would like to be able to eat them again.

Well, everyone,
        I may be WAY off base with this but my theory is that bagels tend to
be much more dense in texture than regular bread, thus the difference in
calculating the carbs.  We used to have problems with my son eating bagels
until we started using the "carb factors" method listed in the back of "Stop
the Rollercoaster".  You weigh the food on a gram scale and then multiply the
weight by the carb factor for that particular food.  Bagels are listed with a
carb factor of .56 and regular bread is listed as .53  so for instance, a
bagel (we're from NYC so we get the BIG ones here :-)  weighing 114g (that's
the size my son had this past weekend) would be figured out by:
114g X .56 = 63.84
Then you would divide 64 carbs (rounded off) by your regular carb to insulin
ratio (my son's is 12:1) so that would give him a bolus of 5.4 for that
bagel.  Now we have bagels pretty much every Sunday and we never have a
problem with his BG's when using this method.  In fact, this past Sunday he
was 139 at wake up and we bolused for the bagel listed above and two hours
later he was 128!  Now, if you figure out 114g into ounces, that would be 3.8
ounces!  So, compared to what some other posts figured for a 4 ounce bagel,
there is quite a difference.  I hope this info helps.....Until we started
using this method, bagels ALWAYS made Steven high.....now we enjoy them