Re: [IP] I can see, but the eye doctor can't.

On 17 Nov 99, at 22:39, Natalie A. Sera wrote:

> Jen Woodall wrote:
> > I know the
> > statistics, and I have a much greater chance of developing it than of
> > not developing it.  With 14 years "in", it could come at any time, even
> > with good control.  But I refuse to believe that it is a given for all
> > diabetics.
> Well, I think I've heard that something like 85% of diabetics develop
> background (non-proliferative) retinopathy, and that only a certain
> percentage go on to develop proliferative retinopathy, which is the one
> that's sight-threatening.
> So who knows -- you COULD be among the lucky 15% who never get it at
> all, and even if you get background retinopathy, it may not progress.

And 80% of the Dmers with background retinopathy do NOT
progress to the more serious "proliferative retinopathy".  So stick
your tongue out at that doctor and ask him if HE can SEE that.  :>)
35 years and even the background retinopathy is improving with