Subject: [IP] Insulin Resistance (?)

Hi Sherry,
How technical of a description of insulin resistance would you like?  When
insulin is released or injected, it travels to the cells that use it (mostly
liver, muscle and fat), and sticks to the surface of the cell, which
triggers the cell to send out "carriers" that carry the glucose from outside
of the cell (bloodstream) to inside the cell.  When there's insulin around,
and that process doesn't happen, because the cell doesn't make the carriers
properly, then one is "insulin resistant."  Most Type 2's are insulin
resistant first, then may become insulin deficient later.  But, a type 1 can
become insulin resistant if the cells stop responding to insulin like they
ought to.  For folks who are insulin - resistant, they often end up taking a
lot of insulin, because the normal amount just doesn't get the sugar into
the cells.
Sometimes, folks who are type 1's can be temporarily insulin resistant -
because of chemicals released due to stress, illness,  infection, puberty,
pregnancy, or progesterone.  In those cases, the hormones (mostly
epinephrine and growth hormone) cause the liver to keep adding more glucose
to the system, and keep the insulin that's around from letting the liver use
the sugar.  It's kind of a different kind of insulin resistance than the
type 2 folks have, but it still means that they end up using more insulin to
get their blood sugar down.

Unfortunately, testing the cells for insulin resistance is a very difficult,
research-y thing to do, so most doctors end up going by things like using
more than 1-2 units of insulin per kilogram of body weight per day.

Hope that helps.

Nancy Morgan

I was wondering if someone could clear up some confusion I have with the
term insulin resistance.  My understanding of the term was that someone who
is insulin resistant needed more insulin then some who isn't.  However, the
result of taking that insulin for the food was the same.  For example
someone who isn't insulin resistant needs 1:12 ratio on a certain meal, and
then they became insulin resistant and now needed 1:8.

But I am not sure that is true.  Is it that insulin takes longer to react?
Such as instead of H peaking in 2hrs it peaks in 3.5?  I thought that was
something different also...

If someone could write me on this list or personally to help clear up my
confusion I would greatly appreciate it.

- -- Sherry