RE: [IP] MM 508

On 16 Nov 99 at 22:26, email @ redacted wrote:

> >Batteries - the ones they sell are stronger than the
> >ones we can buy in the local stores.  But we can use the
> >local ones if we need last minute replacements.
> OK -- all you engineer types out there -- is this possible??? I thought the
> batteries were batteries.  Could MM batteries be "stronger"?? are they made
> differently than those I buy at the local discount drug store - Marc's??? What
> is the shelf life of these batteries??? AND LASTLY -- who actually
> manufacturers these batteries for MiniMed???? I've seen no difference in the
> length of time they last for Andrea.  One of the reasons we went with MM was
> the relative low cost of the batteries (@$.99). HMMMMM - sounds a little fishy
> to me, but then I'm naturally skeptical.

I think the 508 uses a different battery and I don't know if it is a "standard"
battery or a "special application" battery that isn't generally available at
drug stores and department stores.

The 507/507c uses the Eveready 357 batteries, so the batteries are made by the
same company (other companies have a 357 equivalent), but to tighter quality
control standards.   Sometimes the battery company will tell you that they are
made to "medical device" standards instead of "consumer standards" - and then
the next time you call they will be ignorant of all standards...  Batteries can
be purchased at several "quality levels" - from "medical" all the way down to
"consumer" with intermediate levels of "commercial" and "electronics"...  I
think that it basically means that the batteries that test out more
consistently get the higher rating (and cost!) while the consumer gets the
"lowest" quality batteries.  Since this testing is done at the production level
what it really means is that the "medical" batteries have one consistent level
of performance while the "consumer" batteries have more variability - one
battery may perform as well as a higher rated battery but the next may not...

Shelf life is also a factor, since MiniMed demands fresher batteries while that
WalMart battery may have been hanging on the rack for a year or more if there
isn't a big demand for that battery and new ones just get stuck in front of it
when they restock...

This is definitely a YMWV issue, because there are too many factors that can
affect battery performance... including how much insulin is taken, how much you
use the backlight and alarm and how often you play with the buttons...  but if
the $.99 batteries are working well for you that's a bonus.

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.