Re: [IP] Insulin Resistance (?)

Sherry Webb Nolan wrote:
> My doses are still all up in the air and I think I am still on too much NPH,
> but since I am going on the pump in a few weeks they stopped trying to
> figure it out.
> I take a total of 23 units of NPH a day, and anywhere from 20-50u of H a day
> depending on how carb crazy I go. :) I have a 1:9 ratio at breakfast, 1:12
> ratio at lunch, and 1:10 at dinner.  Although I think the breakfast should
> be 1:10.  My diet is primarily carbs with some protein and a little fat.
> Not the 50/30/20 that is recommended more like 80/15/5.  Anyways...my weight
> is ~58kg so 1.0u KG would put me at 50u/day.  So in that sense I guess that
> would make me a little insulin resistant. Hopefully going on the pump will
> help with that some more.

A lot of people see their insulin doses go down when they go on the
pump! :)

And yeah, you may be on the insulin-resistant side of the spectrum --
just cause you're Type 1 doesn't mean you don't have the genes for
insulin-resistance, too. 1/4 of the population does!  On the other hand,
you're not WAY out of line -- some people DO require hundreds of units a

I firmly believe that goal number ONE is get your BGs under good control
-- and the amount of insulin required is GONNA vary among people. As
long as you're eating healthy and exercising, and your weight, blood
pressure and lipids are in a good place, there is no need to worry. If
you start having hypertension, hyperlipidemia or weight gain, then you
can treat them, but good BGs are the baseline!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted