Re: [IP] Insulin Resistance (?)

David L. Dougherty wrote:
> It is a confusing term to me also. The "official" definition of being
> insulin resistant is needing more than 200 units of insulin per day to
> maintain normal blood sugars.

NOT! According to Arturo Rolla, MD who teaches endocrinology at Harvard,
doses over 100 units a day are considered insulin resistant, BUT

a lot also depends on the size of the person. If you're using about .5
to 1.0 units per kg. per day, you're probably not insulin resistant. A
larger person is going to need more insulin than a smaller person --
that should be obvious from the fact that small children use so little!!

So a man who weights 100 kg. (220 lb.) could easily use 100 units a day
without being insulin resistant, but if *I*, at 65 kg. used that much, I
WOULD be insulin-resistant. (actually, I use about 25 units a day, which
is even less than .5 units per kg.)

Also, there are varying degrees of inborn insulin resistance -- it's a
bell-shaped curve, with only a few people on the ends, and most people
somewhere in the middle.

AND (you knew there was more) there is a difference between inborn,
biological insulin resistance and immune-mediated insulin resistance,
which sometimes happens to Type 1's who suddenly require MASSIVE doses
of insulin where they once used small ones. Fortunately, that type of
insulin resistance goes away after a bit, but it's hell to deal with
until it does!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted