RE: [IP] Insulin Resistance (?)

It is a confusing term to me also. The "official" definition of being
insulin resistant is needing more than 200 units of insulin per day to
maintain normal blood sugars. On the other hand, as you mentioned, a 1:8 or
1:6 insulin/carb ratio is thought of as being insulin resistant even though
the charts for starting someone on insulin list those ratios as the starting
ones for anyone weighing 200 pounds or more. Those same charts list 50 to
about 70 units per day (if my memory serves me right, I don't have my book
handy) as their total insulin dose, and this certainly does not fit the
"official" definition of 200 U/day or more. I always thought I was an
insulin resistant type 2 diabetic. The doctor who put me on the pump tells
me that I am not insulin resistant and am in fact a slowly evolving type 1
diabetic. I hope someone here can help clarify all this for me too. I'm
thoroughly confused.