Subject: [IP] Help!

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:11:15 -0800
From: Cari M Ecklund <email @ redacted>

My son, Andrew is almost 5...We've
been on the Disetronic pump for almost 2 months. We LOVE it! ....BUT....

<<Is it really possible to maintain #'s in the 100-200 range for a active
child this age. >>

Not at our house!  I'm proud that Jenna has been able to achieve a A-1-C of
6.9 - BUT, that's with only a few days of being in target range all days.
Almost every day, she has at least one sugar over 200, and some days, quite
a few!  And, too often, we still have sugars below 80.

<<How long should it take to set the "correct" basal rates?>>

As long as it takes - and I'm not being a smart aleck!  We struggled with
setting basal rates - only to find out that the problem was that her sites
wouldn't last for more than 1.5 - 2 days - problem solved with the H/V mix.
And with these growing kids, the basal rates change as they grow, so the
process is never really over.

<<What about exercise? He plays soccer in the AM ...He has a game
Wed. @ 6pm. What thoughts do you have???>>

Test 30 minutes before soccer.  Give him a pregame snack that has about 30
grams of carbs (a juice box and a piece of bread with peanut butter - or our
favorite -pre-sports snack, an Eskimo pie ice cream sandwich or cone.
Disconnect for the game.  Test at half time, and eat some more if necessary.
Then test after the game - bolus for the post game snack at less of a
carb:insulin ratio than you normally use.

<<It seems that most of you use the Sils/Tenders. We use the Rapid 6 and
are very happy. >>

They make different sets because different folks like different things.  The
important thing is that you're happy, and it's working.  The Sils / Tenders
solve a lot of problems that some folks have with the rapids, but if you
don't have 'em, you don't need to solve a thing!

Glad things are going so well.

Nancy Morgan, Jenna's mom