Sue-->Re: [IP] pumping at school

>Have I forgotten anything?  Does this sound like a sensible way to go?  Are
there other things I should be doing for the staff at school?  We welcome
your expertise and any advice you have to help us make this work.
>Taking it day by day,
>Sue Cahill, mom to SIXSONS
>Mike, dx 1-97

A few suggestions, to make sure all bases are covered:
1) Make sure that any teachers of "specials" he has (art, music, gym, etc.)
are also very aware that he is a pumper & of diabetic needs as well- such as
signs of potential lows, needing extra restroom trips if high, that
"sleepiness", confusion, or uncharacteristic behavior like extreme
silliness, mood swings, etc. should be taken seriously.  When these teachers
have a class, the regular classroom teacher is not in the room, & for some
reason they tend to fall through the cracks when information is being
distributed.  (Yes, I'm one of those teachers- elementary music- & since I
only see each class twice a week for 1/2 hour, I don't get to know each
child's situation as well as the regular classroom teacher does...but I do
want to make sure I am very aware of any specific medical conditions in the
students for whom I am responsible, so that I don't inadvertently neglect a
very real need.)
2) Make sure that copies of whatever info. you provide on
diabetes/pumping/Mike in particular for the teacher are also included in the
substitute folder as well, & that if for some reason the teacher is absent,
a backup plan (another teacher nearby, an office aide or secretary...someone
you feel sure you can count on) is in place- whether that means that someone
else is taught to administer the boluses or simply that you are notified
first thing in the morning that theacher is absent, so you can decide from
there what you will want to do.
3) Find out if anyone else that may have been overlooked when you met with
the school folks (cafeteria/playground volunteers or aides, librarians,
custodians) has regular occasion to spend time with Mike that does not
include his regular teacher, & make sure they have the info that they need
as well.

I know that this may sound like I'm suggesting you be a real pain- but my
experience coming from the other end, as the adult responsible for the
safety & well-being of large groups of students (with sometimes NO
information to go on) is that I want to know & need to know what to do to
best serve the child in question.  Also, as a "grownup pumper", I've been in
situations where the people around me did not know what was happening-
scary, scary, scary!!!  (for all involved!)

I'm really glad to hear you're getting so much support from his
teacher...she sounds like one of those who hasn't forgotten what we're
supposed to be doing there!  A post not long ago commended a doctor who
treated the patient, as opposed to just the disease- I'm really thrilled to
hear of those in education who are willing to teach the student, not just
the subject...THAT'S what it's all about!  (Yes, we're doing the Hokey Pokey
this week in the first grade...does it show?  :)  )

Wishing you & Mike the very best on the great pumping adventure- let us know
how it goes!