Claudia wrote she was upset cuz

and Brian wrote:
>  Actually ER was hitting on a subject of diabetes that is more RARE..
>  is MODY diabetes  or Mature Onset Diabetes in the Young  (or something

Well, in my personal opinion, I was PLEASED by the episode.  I applaud ER for
its awarness.  First the girfriend of Dr. Benton developed gestational
diabetes when she was pregnant with Reese...I was appalled by her inability
to give her own injectins and how the doctor was forced to go over there and
do them for her - it's not like they are rabies shots for gods sake, but
still it was cool to see the situation addressed.

Then came the scary episode with Swoozie Kurtz as teh Tammy Faye Baker type
who was using her illness to giver her evangelist/Jim Bakeresque husband
something to pray about...It was disgusting, but the cute blonde doctor
handled the situation well, and provided some good information, like what a
good blood sugar is, what complications could happen...and so on.

Then the 3rd one was the little girl who was a runner or something and Dr.
Benton helped her get, what he referred to as a continuous subcutaneous
insulin infusion system or something like that...wouldn't it have been easier
to say "pump" but whatever...he convinced the grand ma that it was the best
thing for the girl blah blabh blah and emphasized how important it was to
test even though it made her feel different.

Then there was the homeless type 2 guy who came in regularly to get his blood
tested...he had a mouse living in his beard....we ARE all nuts aren't

and now this!  This Type 2 in children is a GROWING epidemic!!  They can give
it whatever fancy name they want, but it is STILL diabetes....a disease that
affects, what?? 90 million americans???  and it is NOT just a disease that
"old fat" people get!!  I thought they presented it excellently...They showed
a rather portly dad, who obviously did not set any kind of good example for
his son.  The doctor emphasized how important it was that behaviour and diet
modification could not be made without professional help, and rather than
just say the kid could take glucophage and be fine, she said that IF he lost
weight and IF he modified his diet and IF he got some exercise and lived a
healthier chance, there was a chance they he wouldn't need medication at
all...which is SUCH a misconception so many people have...oh i will just take
my pill and i can eat whatever I want...I just have a "touch" of diabetes.

So for the next episode...I propose a young woman who walks in with severe
cramps...she is a dpump wearing diabetic and they can't figure out what is
wrong with her..she is obviously in serious pain, the xray shows
nothing...and throughout all this, she is adamant about not letting any one
touch her pump, and even though she hurts, she tests her own blood
sugar....at one point she is sitting in a wheel chair waiting for her next
test adn she tests to find she is low.  She asks Dr. Dave for some juice and
he is in a rush and says yeah yeah be right back....he never comes...cuz he
such a putz.  So she gets up and walks to nurses station to get it herself.
Then later on she collapses in serious pain, clutching her pump in one hand,
so they rush her to surgery...they try and wrest her pump from her but she
refuses.  they explain they need to do a laparotomy to see what is wrong,
that her CT scan ws inconcluisive and she may have a ruptured bowel....so she
changes her site....interns and doctors crowded around in fascination....and
puts the site in her leg...she tests her bg - it is 165, so the anesthesia
guy - no it will be Carter, leans in and says, hey show me how to work that
thing while you are unconscious, so she gives him pump 101, as the anesthia
mask is put over her face.....

WHAT A GREAT EPISOIDE THIS WOULD BE...considering it really did happen, AND
in Chicago...maybe I oughta send it in...but only if I can play hte surly,
demanding, control freak of a diabetic!

Sara, who has the scar to prove it