From: email @ redacted
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #645
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:58:29 EST

In a message dated 11/8/99 8:58:04 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< personal bias or ignorance, in many cases. Some endos are very
conservative
  and believe that if you just try hard enough, you can get  the ultimate
  control. >>

Dawn, I love your observation.  I do not understand why even good endos do
not believe in transplants.  They truly believe that a slow death from IDD
is
better than a transplant with anti-rejection drugs.  I know several people
with very debilitating complications from diabetes.  I have given them info
that I have received from the University of Minnesota Transplant Division,
but our endo does not bring this up with any patients.  I don't understand
this.  Dr. Sutherland (at U of M) says he will do a transplant on just about
anyone and he has done more than anyone else in the world.  Sure, a
transplant has some drawbacks, but so does progressive kidney failure,
gastroparesis, and retinopathy. I don't get it.  ellen