Re: [IP] When To Test

You're liable to get over 1800 different opinions on this, so here's mine :-)

As a minimum, I check my BG:

1)  When I first wake in the morning
2)  Just before I eat breakfast - this is usually a couple hours after waking
3)  Approximately 2 - 3 hours after breakfast
4)  Before eating lunch
5)  Approximately 2 - 3 hours after lunch
6)  Before leaving work at the end of the day
7)  Before dinner
8)  Before bed
9)  Whenever I feel confused, or "out of it"

In addition:

1)  Always before driving, sometimes during the drive, depending on length
of time behind the wheel
2)  Always before / after exercise, sometimes during, depending on
intensity and duration
3)  Whenever things are not working right

I test my BG based on events, rather than a predefined clock based
schedule. I find this routine gives me sufficient data points to spot
trends, sniff out problems and try to find solutions. If I were to test
according to a specific time schedule, I'd also get a lot of data points,
but they'd be less useful for me, because they'd have a stronger
correlation to the clock than they do to my schedule, which is flexible. If
I were to test 30 minutes after lunch for example, because the clock says
that's the scheduled time to test, all it tells me is that my insulin is
slightly out of phase with my carbohydrate metabolism. Since I rely on
exogenous insulin, these curves will never match perfectly, I'd be chasing
my tail :-(

I'm not one of the "lucky" persons, whose BG remains fairly constant
through the day, reacts predictably to carbohydrates, stress, etc. I still
have a tendency toward unexpected swings in BG levels, and times where my
bod refuses to metabolize the several gallons of High Test Humalog I pour
into the "Insulin Black Hole". Keeping my testing schedule event driven,
rather than clock driven helps me balance things.

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted

Steve asked: