[IP] A day without life support

For the first time in years, I left home for work today, absent-mindedly
without my purse -- and thus without my meter.

I work an hour from home, and thus can't go back and fetch it.

I'm surprised how fearful and rattled I feel, without what I consider my
life support system.

My pump is on and working -- but for the past four hours and for the next
six or so, I can only guess at my BGs.

For too many years when I was young and stupid I survived quite well
guessing about everything. But now I'm so dependent on that meter and those
numbers to inform my food/insulin decisions that I'm sort of helpless
without it.

Am I weird, Dear Abby, or is this normal?