Re: [IP] Diabetic or Not?

In a message dated 11/10/99 10:23:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< A person can not be both type 1 and 2.  Atype 1's body looses the capacity
 make insulin because of the destruction of the beta cells.  Type 2's make
 insulin, ie have beta cells to do so.  Usally, a type 2 at first will
 actually over produce insulin because the body detects that the sugar in not
 being taken in to the cells to use.  After a while the pancrease slows down
 and eventually only produce very small amounts of insulin, but the beta
cells
 do not die. A type 2 is insulin resistent, meaning they can not use what
they
 got for various reasons.  A person with type 1 can be more insulin sensitive
 during times of the day, sites used...., however a type 1 is a type 1 and a
2
 is a two.  There has been some discussion of a type 1.5, but I have heard
 only sparatic stuff of this.  A type 1 will dye with out insulin.

I started out as a type 2.  I am now considered to be a type 1.5.  Type 1.5
is a type 1 that doesn't present itself until adulthood.  By adulthood, I
mean after 30 years of age.  Usually type 1.5s are diagnosed as type 2s.  But
over the years, these people become insulin dependent.  In most respects a
type 1.5 is just like a type 1.

Mark