[IP] Sure could use some advice

In a message dated 11/02/1999 Suzanne Hoppe wrote

>  Unfortunately, I have no diabetes support thanks to high cost
>  of Insurance!!

THAT sucks!!!  but here we all are...as long as you take our advice and
suggestions as just that, and not divine wisdom (except for Randall...his IS
divine wisdom!!)

>  But, my struggle is the carb counting.  Will this come natural after
>  so long???  Is there anywhere I can read up more on how to do it???
> Just looking for some "support" and "encouragment".  It will get
> better... Right?

YES YES YES....it will get better and easier...you just have to keep plugging
away...for a while you may have to lug a carb counting book in your purse
with you, but I PROMISE, and I dont make promises lightly, before too  long,
you will be able to eyeball a plate of food and make a damn close guess to
the amount of carb thereon!

I use the B. Kraus carb counting book, and there are lots of others listed on
the IP site.  and all packaged foods list the carb count...as with EVERYTHING
in diabetes...your own personal mileage may vary, so if the package SAYS says
15 grams and you bolus 1 unit, and you still end up 290, you know the package
might be off, or the weight, or hidden fat...there is ALWAYS gonna be an
"or."  but that is what is so great about pumping...If you do mess up and
don't bolus enough for somethng you eat, you can QUICKLY, DISCREETLY and
PAINLESSLY fix it in a twinkling of an eye...opps I am 160...you can pop in a
quick .4 units or whatever lowers you 20 points, and BAM there you are at
140...happy day!