[IP] Re: protein diet

Our local news actually did a story on protein diets just last night,
not geared specifically towards diabetics though. They said that the
reason it works is that it causes the production of ketones, which of
course cause the weight loss. However, they were quick to point out 2
1) Ketones are "bad" and can harm the kidneys and cause other problems,
so most doctors were recommending against this diet.
2) Once you go off the diet you will most likely gain the weight right
back (this is true with most diets because they don't make a lasting
change in your eating habits and/or exercise)
I'm certainly not an expert in this area and the reporters probably
aren't either, but it sounds a bit risky to me. However, I think other
people on this list have been using the diet and really liked it...