[IP] skiing

> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:28:20 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Skiing 'n Pumping
>
> My 12 year old son will be in Park City, Utah over Christmas,
> skiing with his
> aunt, uncle, and cousin (none of whom are familiar with pumping).  We are
> from Washington, D.C.  Can anyone give me advice on how to handle
> pumpin 'n
> skiin?  Like - should he disconnect from the pump to avoid
> destroying it or
> going low (he's a beginner skiier)?  Should he lower his basals
> and by how
> much to account for his level of activity? What precautions
> should he take to
> protect the insulin from the cold? Will there be anything to
> watch for with
> the higher elevation?  Or anything his paranoid mother hasn't
> thought of yet
> but surely will with a month left in which to obsess?  :-)
> Thanks to all.
> You're an awesome group!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #650
> *************************************

My first experience downhill skiing was at Snowbird, Utah about 3 weeks
after
I started pumping.  I usually have a dropping trend with exercise and skiing
was
even worse!!!  I severely underestimated the amt my sugar would drop.  I
would
recommend the obvious:  test, test often, even if it means in the middle of
a slope.
I test halfway down and was 32!  Don't wait til the bottom.  Because its so
cold
your body is also working harder to keep warm... If you test before, in the
middle
of the first run and at the bottom you should get a feel for what your body
is going
to do.  Carry lots of snacks - and glucose tabs - the slope I happened to be
on
was close to a mile from the lodge/food.

Talk over what he should do (how to adjust, what to eat, etc..)
if he is going high or low when he DOES take those
tests... and he'll be fine :)

Treat it like heavy exercise even if it doesn't feel like it :)

susan