Re: [IP] Orange juice?

Carolyn, I'm not sure what you are suggesting makes sense.  I don't know of
any evidence suggesting that fiber or other carbs slow down the absorption
of sugars.  Lots of evidence that fats do something like this, though.  I
know if I eat an apple my BG goes up pretty darn quickly--after all, it is
the same sugar that's in apple juice.  The difference might just be that
you get more of the sugar in the juice all at once.  But for most of us,
the fructose get converted to glucose quite rapidly.  That's why the old
(pre glucose tab era) recommended remedy for a hypo was to sit down and
drink a glass of OJ.

<<<<<<<A long way back and several times since I was dx (22 years),I was
told not
to have juice. It is absorbed so quickly that it sends your bg up high, very
fast. Eating the fresh fruit is way better because it has all the fibre in
it to slow down absorption. The same goes for other pure fruit juices too.
If you really like the juice you might try having some carb with lots of
fibre in it at the same time to slow down absorption. Maybe triscuits or
something like that. hope this helps!!...Carolyn>>>>>>>>

.  Fruit juice sends my blood sugars up at warp speed.