Re: [IP] gastric emptying study

In a message dated 11/10/99 7:28:30 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Any

experience out there with gastric emptying study results and whether drug

therapy is indicated for results like mine? >>

Nobody ever has seemed to doubt I have gastroparesis, but my gastric emptying
scan showed slightly increased emptying time.  All the doctors I have talked
to about it say that is not unusual -- and actually, that's not surprising
because it seems to be a quite variable condition.

I would think whether it is worth using drugs depends on how much it is
bothering you.  I originally went on reglan (metoclopramide) for morning
nausea and diarrhea -- it helped that, and I stayed on it for a few years,
but there seemed a possibility it was contributing to severe depression, so I
went off it (and the depression did resolve).  The next bad outbreak, the
reglan did not seem to help, and the doctor put me on propulsid (cisapride),
which has caused some real unpleasant side effects (and you have to be real
careful what else you take, because it has some possibly fatal interactions)
-- but it doesn't seem to be working anymore (one doctor suggested to me that
was because I had stopped it for awhile after bad overdose symptoms, that
once you start taking it you have to take it for the rest of your life.  None
of my other doctors agree with this)  I think if I could control any problems
I had with small meals, reasonable amounts of fiber (I do better with high,
but I've heard others say they do better with low), and frequent blood tests
and flexibility with insulin, I would try to avoid either of the medications.

Linda Zottoli