[IP] Type 1 hereditary

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:30:14 -0500
From: "RoseLea" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] IDDM and bottled milk

I've always been told Type 1 was hereditary.... I have it, my sisters have
it, my dad had it, I have cousins on my dad's side with it....

T1 for 37 years
I just *celebrated* my 49th anniversary of living with Type 1 IDDM. I'm the only one in the family who is diabetic. I have always heard Type 2 was the hereditary one since illness, trauma, etc. can bring on T-1.  I believe mine was brought on through a poisoned system after 8 years of boils, carbuncles, and styes. My stepfather had boils at the time and I believe he gave me the staph infection. At age 6 and beyond a penicillin shot could have cured the infections (after WWII). I know many others who have had those sores (so don't say IDDM was the cause) and are NOT diabetic. I don't believe my 3-year-old body could handle the infections until I went into a coma at age 11. I even had 5 on one leg at one time and could hardly walk. I was never taken to the dr. for anything until 6 days before the coma. The dog, however, was taken to the vet for not feeling well. Band-aids and Watkin's Petro Carbo was my only treatment.    BTW, I've been pumping 16 years. Now have an MM 507c -- blue.