[IP] Skiing 'n Pumping

My 12 year old son will be in Park City, Utah over Christmas, skiing with his
aunt, uncle, and cousin (none of whom are familiar with pumping).  We are
from Washington, D.C.  Can anyone give me advice on how to handle pumpin 'n
skiin?  Like - should he disconnect from the pump to avoid destroying it or
going low (he's a beginner skiier)?  Should he lower his basals and by how
much to account for his level of activity? What precautions should he take to
protect the insulin from the cold? Will there be anything to watch for with
the higher elevation?  Or anything his paranoid mother hasn't thought of yet
but surely will with a month left in which to obsess?  :-)  Thanks to all.
You're an awesome group!